This one came courtesy of the amazing Ree Drummond, who’s peppermint candy concoctions inspired this weekend’s baking extravaganza! Since the success of my chardonnay cupcakes recipe post, I have been looking for more divine inspiration, and this was it! The perfect recipe to bring into work for colleagues who need some festive fun… I made lots of mini cupcakes from this batch, about 48 of the yummy little devils, which is perfect to take to work! And as Handsome says, the balance of chocolate vs peppermint is just right, it’s a kudos maker!
- 1 cup of soft salted butter (2 sticks)
- 4 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Frosting includes: 1 cup soft salted butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 40 whole peppermint candies, crushed very fine
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 36 large or 48 small muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Melt the two sticks of butter and stir in the cocoa. Pour in boiling water, stir to combine, boil for 15 seconds, then remove from heat and leave aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and baking soda.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the flour ingredients and mix until partially combined, then add the egg mixture and mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Fill the paper cups to 2/3 full and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely, then make the frosting.
- With an electronic whisk, beat the butter, then add the powdered sugar, and while beating, slowly add the cream.
- Then add the crushed candy and beat on high for 30 seconds until light and fluffy.
- Frost your cupcakes as best you can (for me the candy got stuck in the nozzle and I ended up pasting a dollop on each cake… I’m sure you can do better!).