I used to make this with my friend Cere when we were teenagers. I still make it now as a go to cheap, quick and nutritious meal. But whenever I make it, I miss Cere, and the old days… This will easily feed four, but it keeps well for a couple of days, I use the leftovers for hearty lunches.
500g pasta of your choice
1 courgette (zucchini)
250g button/white mushrooms
1 medium yellow onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon italian herbs
1 large tin chopped tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
- Slice vegatables to large sized pieces.
- Put large saucepan of water onto boil.
- Heat olive oil on high and fry all vegetables including garlic and herbs for 3 minutes until onions start to become translucent.
- Add tomato paste and stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and boil vigorously until pasta is cooked.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce to combine and serve with parmesan if desired.
If you prefer a richer sauce, delay cooking the pasta for 10 minutes to allow more water evaporation in the sauce.