I’m constantly looking for recipes for Handsome to enjoy. I guess I live by the mantra that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, and I look for new and impressive ways to keep his heart all the time…
Well, Handsome’s favorite is banana bread (which I hate) and I have always had issues with baking it as I think it smells nasty… but love moves us in mysterious ways and when I saw Smitten Kitchen’s recipe for Double Chocolate Banana Bread I knew it was something he would enjoy… so out came the Kitchen Aid! Of course, he loves it, his kids love it and their friends love it. So despite the fact that I will never eat it, it’s a winner that will be made over and over again in our house… It’s pretty easy too, so why not try it? The original recipe makes a loaf, which is sticky and difficult to slice. My recipe makes muffin sized individual portions, which was more successful.
- 3 medium-to-large very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease 24 muffin cup holes.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas, then whisk in the melted butter.
- Next add the eggs, sugar and vanilla and stir thoroughly.
- Sift over the remaining dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips and stir through briefly.
- Spoon 2/3 full into each muffin cup hole.
- Bake for 45 mins and test with a toothpick. The toothpick should come out clean, although there may be a chocolate smear. If necessary, bake at 5 minute increments until cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the pan and the muffins should come out of the pan easily.