I needed something rich to brighten up and otherwise boring roast chicken. I will often roast some onions with my chicken, as the smell is so heavenly, but I wanted to try something else to really jazz them up. One of the great things about roasting onions is the lovely caramelization. So thought I… how can we make them even more caramelly? Even more sticky and delicious??? Balsamic vinegar folks… Add balsamic, garlic and a little olive oil to some quartered red onions and you are inviting good eats into your life… Just try it…
2 red onions
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 good twist salt and black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and quarter the onions through the root, so that the quarters hold together.
- In a ziploc bag, smoosh up the oil, garlic, balsamic, salt and pepper.
- Add the onions to the bag and give them a good massage and spin, so they all get coated.
- Cook for at least an hour, until the outer edges are all blackened and a knife plunges easily into the center of the onion quarters.